The Trace is seeking a Newsroom Operations Coordinator to power our nonprofit news magazine’s operations in accounting, fundraising, human resources, and office life. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated track record of getting things done — and making things better — in every role they’ve jumped into. Interest in the news media, nonprofit industry, and/or small startups would be a plus.
The essential responsibilities and qualifications for this position include:
- Knowing how to make things work. You spot inefficiencies or failures in systems and processes and propose smart solutions. Forward-looking and creative, you offer ideas that turn our ambitions into reality, whether it’s a fundraising campaign, research memo, or staff event. Your enterprising nature will quickly lead you to propose ways to make The Trace run more smoothly across its many functions.
- Tracking our finances. The Trace uses a few easy-to-understand apps to record and track our spending, donations, and grant activities and reconcile our corporate credit card statements. You have the tech savvy and natural organizational chops to make this a breeze, and the diligence to make sure it’s always done accurately and on time. Past experience maintaining a CRM is a definite bonus.
- Taking care of freelancers and funders. Contributing authors need to get paid. Donors should to be thanked and kept in the loop. Questions from either need to be answered promptly, concisely, and eagerly. Instinctively, you get that — which makes you great at this aspect of the job.
- Maintaining a healthy, positive, and productive workspace. The newsroom operations coordinator will have a knack for anticipating the material needs of our growing and busy newsroom and finding cost effective ways to address them. He or she serve will also serve as the point of contact with our co-working space on any office issues. In addition, the newsroom operations coordinator will assist senior editors in organizing staff lunches, outings, and other office events.
- Communicating clearly and thoughtfully. You’re equally skilled at writing a persuasive fundraising document or a punchy internal reminder, always understanding the right tone for the task at hand. In equal measure, you are an active listener during meetings and comfortable addressing a group.
The Newsroom Operations Coordinator is a full-time, salaried position in our Brooklyn office, with competitive health and savings benefits. To apply, please submit a single PDF containing a one-page resume, a cover letter summarizing your relevant experience (addressed to senior editor Akoto Ofori-Atta), and a brief memo telling us about:
- The most entrepreneurial thing you’ve done this year.
- The last problem you solved, and how you solved it.
- Your favorite source of news and what you love about it.
Email your materials to [email protected] by March 20, 2018.
Are you excited by this position, but worry you don’t have the *exact* right resume? We still want to hear from you! We’re happy to meet smart, capable candidates who are excited and eager to contribute to our organization’s mission. We invite individuals with nontraditional work experience to apply.
The Trace is committed to diversity and strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBQT people.