The Trace, a nonprofit news organization dedicated to in-depth coverage of guns in America, is looking for a skilled and entrepreneurial editorial fellow with interest and experience in social media engagement, audience building, and news writing.
This paid, full-time fellowship begins in January or February and runs six months. The fellow will work out of The Trace’s offices in Brooklyn, N.Y. Our fellows are compensated at competitive rates and outstanding performers may be offered the option of extending their fellowships by an additional six or 12 months.
The news and engagement fellow will be responsible for:
- Implementing and informing The Trace’s social strategy across Facebook, Twitter and other social platforms (prior experience managing social accounts for a newsroom is a plus)
- Building our community through reader engagement and helping to strengthen online conversations regarding gun violence and related subjects
- Pitching and writing smart, quick short-form posts optimized for social sharing
- Assisting with web production, including photo selection and editing
- Working with senior editors to design and execute enterprising social projects
- Updating and maintaining databases of Trace media mentions and impact
- Fact-checking and contributing reporting to longform features
- Pitching in on other tasks and projects as needed in our small newsroom
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter containing a short bio and detailing three relevant examples of your work to [email protected] by December 22.
The Trace is committed to building a diverse newsroom. We encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities to apply.