The Trace is committed to transparency in every aspect of our funding.
We accept gifts, grants and sponsorships from individuals, organizations and foundations to help with our general operations, coverage of specific topics, and special projects. Our news staff operates independently of that support and retains full control of all editorial decisions.
Accepting financial support does not mean we endorse donors or their positions.
We do not allow anyone to assign, review, or edit content prior to publication.
As a nonprofit, The Trace will not accept donations from anonymous sources, government entities, political parties, elected officials or candidates actively seeking public office.
We make public all donors who give $1,000 or more per year and accept anonymous donations only when sufficient safeguards have been put into place that the expenditure of that donation is made independently by our editorial staff and does not present a conflict of interest.
Support for The Trace comes from these groups, among others:
- Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund
- F Three Foundation
- Foundation Beyond Belief
- Franklin Philanthropic Foundation
- George Lucas Family Foundation
- Leboff Weiner DAF
- Lerer Family Charitable Foundation
- Manaaki Foundation
- Nicholas B. Ottaway Foundation
- The Aber D. Unger Foundation
- The Cleveland Family Charitable Fund
- The Conway Family Charitable Fund
- The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation
- The Joyce Foundation
- The Kendeda Fund
- The Lenfest Institute for Journalism
- The New Venture Foundation – Fund for a Safer Future Project
- The Yellow Chair Foundation
We are also grateful to the many readers who have stepped forward to support our journalism through their personal contributions.
The Trace (formally incorporated as Trace Media Inc.) is a nonprofit, 501 c3 corporation, tax ID# 47-4175513.
Acknowledgement: The Trace developed this donor transparency policy in accordance with standards developed by the Institute for Nonprofit News.