The Trace is committed to transparency in every aspect of our funding.
We accept gifts, grants and sponsorships from individuals, organizations and foundations to help with our general operations, coverage of specific topics, and special projects. Our news staff operates independently of that support and retains full control of all editorial decisions.
Accepting financial support does not mean we endorse donors or their positions.
We do not allow anyone to assign, review, or edit content prior to publication.
As a nonprofit, The Trace will not accept donations from anonymous sources, government entities, political parties, elected officials or candidates actively seeking public office.
We make public all donors who give $1,000 or more per year and accept anonymous donations only when sufficient safeguards have been put into place that the expenditure of that donation is made independently by our editorial staff and does not present a conflict of interest.
Support for The Trace comes from these groups, among others:
- The Aber D. Unger Foundation
- Anne R. Avis and Gregory M. Avis Fund
- Arnold Ventures LLC
- The Cleveland Family Charitable Fund
- The Conway Family Charitable Fund
- Community Foundation of Sonoma County
- Donald A. Pels Charitable Trust
- The Eli and Edythe Broad Family Foundation
- Emerson Collective, LLC
- Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund
- F Three Foundation
- Foundation Beyond Belief
- Franklin Philanthropic Foundation
- The Herb Block Foundation
- Hobson/Lucas Family Foundation
- The Joyce Foundation
- The Kendeda Fund
- The Lenfest Institute
- Leboff Weiner DAF
- Lerer Family Charitable Foundation
- Levi Strauss Foundation
- Lisa and Douglas Goldman Fund
- Manaaki Foundation
- The Miami Foundation, Inc.
- Mimi and Peter Haas Fund
- New Venture Fund
- Nicholas B. Ottaway Foundation
- Paul and Ann Sagan
- Public Welfare Foundation
- McCormick Foundation
- Schwab Charitable Fund
- Simmons Sisters Fund
- Solutions Journalism Network, Inc.
- The Thomas Phillips and Jane Moore Johnson Foundation
- The Yellow Chair Foundation
We are also grateful to the many readers who have stepped forward to support our journalism through their personal contributions.
The Trace (formally incorporated as Trace Media Inc.) is a nonprofit, 501 c3 corporation, tax ID# 47-4175513.
Acknowledgement: The Trace developed this donor transparency policy in accordance with standards developed by the Institute for Nonprofit News.